How do you conduct a science seminar?
* Extension Discussion
* Teachers will need the 3 Atacama Desert Data Sheets and “Preparing for the Science Seminar” sheet completed in the last session
*Extension discussion - Try it with your students!
Share your experience:
- Share your experience using the strategies covered in the last session.
- What went well?
- What was challenging for students? For you?
1. Video: Stepping back during science seminars
Watch the video below, which describes the role of the teacher during the science seminar.
- What role did the teacher play in the science seminar?
- What strategies do you notice the teacher using to facilitate the science seminar?
- What concerns do you have about running a science seminar in your classroom?
- What do you think students will do well? What challenges do you anticipate students having?
2. Presentation: Roles and expectations for the science seminar
3. Activity: Science seminar
- Prevailing winds on the Pacific coast cause extremely low precipitation in the Atacama Desert.
- The location of mountain ranges causes extremely low precipitation in the Atacama Desert.
- Surface temperatures of the ocean cause extremely low precipitation in the Atacama Desert.
4. Discussion: Reflect on the science seminar
- As a “student,” what worked well for you? What was challenging?
- What types of instructional strategies can you see your students needing to interact in a science seminar?
- How could engaging in a science seminar help students develop a better understanding of the science content?
5. Session takeaways
* Extension - Try it with your students!
- Engage your students in a science seminar.
- For the next session, be prepared to discuss your experience.